Modules?! (was Re: Integrating the RegisteringFileList)

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:24:05 UTC 2002

Hi all!

--- ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi goran
>
> I'm also really interested by the modules ;) but I never got the time to
> understand them. even if I tried I always missed the point. I think that we

Yes, I remember that discussion! A lot of confusion there.

> will need people to help.

Right. And stupid me stepped up... :-)

> So if you start to make a short description so that we can
>  understand what is a module
>     1 how class extension works (can we or not add or modify a method)
>     can we via an extension modify a class definition
>     2 is a module acts as a namespace
>     how do we import export?
>     3 how the versioning system could work?

I will try to write an introduction/review of Henrik's work. I looked at it quite a bit
at OOPSLA but will have to look again. I really liked it then and it was solid code.

> Alexandre bergel www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel
> made a small tools to load and unload modules.
>
> Then I think that we will have to decompose the image in big modules.
> Then for each of the big modules decompose them. In the process I think that
> we will need test writers and lot of people looking if we are not breaking
> things. So if you want to participate I would really to work with you on
> that this would be great. We can fix some objectives. I started to look at
> the major shirnk because it gives also some views on the problems.
> Then the registering file list is also a start to tackle some problems.
>
> I would like to have a cohesive group of people working on that.

I happen to know that Henrik has embedded methods in the modules code to
"detangle" the current image. My introduction would definitely need to
describe those parts too.

I have downloaded Henrik's latest and will start looking at it and writing
an "article/howto" on it. Hopefully that can then grow into a "modules primer".

regards, Göran

PS. So many funny things to do... :-) DS

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek