squeakdot and seaside

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Wed Jan 30 13:46:31 UTC 2002

 <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> said:
>Ok, sounds good. In this respect our two frameworks both still suffers
>slightly from the fact
>that we need to synch the ids in the HTML with the code. Info in two
>places.

[...]
>I wonder how this could be even more improved...

The only other thing is to use an XPath-like specification on the Smalltalk
side, methinks. Whether you want *that*...

>> I don't think of it as hiding the http flow - who *cares* about the http
>> flow?
>
>Well, I do! :-) What I meant is that I have been burnt earlier by 4GL
>tools,
>complicated frameworks etc. that tries to hide too much and thus only
>"trips me up"
>because it does a lot of smart things behind my back. It all depends of
>course on how
>good it's implemented.

Yup. For example, using VisualWorks' VisualWave is tempting (Wave is a toolkit
that renders Smalltalk UI's to HTML with a lot of javascript and server-side
wizardry around it to fool the programmer into thinking that they're writing a
native Smalltalk UI program), but it integrates badly with lower-level stuff
(like their own Servlet/SSP framework - go figure). In effect, you're left
with a big black box and your application will be able to do just what the
Wave designers could think of (or, more likely, had the time for to write it).

OTOH, the design seems to have been inspired by WebObjects and I only heard
good stuff about it...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>