Squeak VM, real-time I/O, and threading

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Jan 30 16:54:28 UTC 2002

Hi!

I wrote:
> >>1. I personally don't like the added
> >>methods in Boolean like
> >>#yourselfUnlessFalseDoFirst: . I
> >>had to stare and check and think
> >>and almost still didn't get it! ;-) My
> >>advice: Get rid of those. :-)
> >
> > 	Hmm, they seemed straightforward and useful to me at the time. :)  I'll take another look...

> I'm glad this is mentioned. I forgot to tell you about this before. I
> removed those methods from my image a long time ago :)

:-)

> >>The Client/Server classes built for
> >>reuse by inheritance would be
> >>easier to use, I think, if
> >>constructed for reuse by
> >>composition.
>
> Goran, what do you mean? Can you think on any example with a concrete
> protocol (FTP, TFTP, SMTP, whatever)?

Well, I mean that the classes "Server" and "Client" are meant to be used
by subclassing
instead of using them as "instances" (they would probably need other
names then).

Often OO code uses inheritance too much IMHO. Reusing code by
inheritance is much more
brittle than reusing by composition and it often requires the developer
to study the source
of the superclass instead of relying on a good external protocol.

regards, Göran