Squeak VM, real-time I/O, and threading

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Wed Jan 30 19:25:16 UTC 2002

Hi--

> I agree with Goran completely on this issue. Subclassing is
> particularly in-appropriate for network protocols, since they should
> be stackable.

	I think there's some confusion over what artifact we're talking
about... Göran was talking about Flow's architecture (I think :), but
Flow *does* use composition. A client or server (e.g., HTTPClient) uses
a stream (e.g., SocketStream), which uses a resource (e.g., TCPSocket).
I guess you're taking issue with the way things are now in mainstram
Squeak? ("HTTPSocket", etc.)

	Göran... how would you change the proposed architecture of Flow out of
concern for composition?

	There's an architectural summary of Flow at
http://netjam.org/flow/architecture.html.

	thanks!

-C

--