A Tool for managing modules

Bergel Alexandre bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jan 31 16:20:18 UTC 2002

> And I tried to import my Connectors change set (after changing all the
> category names to be 'People-NedKonz-Connectors').
>
> And I imported the change set. When it executes the postscript of the change
> set, I get a walkback on a doesNotUnderstand:.

I have tried to reproduce this behavior, but I couldn't. Where can I get your Connectors change ?

> But this is the strange thing: the Package Browser shows that I've added the
> new method to the class in question (this is a one-method extension to
> MessageSend).
>
> It's in a module called
> #(People NedKonz Connectors 'Squeak Language Core Objects delta')

Strange name for a module, but anyway I will try to fix that.
You can also try to perform :
  Repository
  importChangesFromFileNamed: 'MyGoodie.cs'
  intoModuleAt: #(Project MyGoodie)

> And I see the method in the browser.
>
> But when I look for implementors, I see none!
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> How am I supposed to use the system if I can't extend existing classes?

Which system do you refer (ModuleTool is simply a gui, a front-end to ModuleInstaller) ?

Extending an existing class could be done easily, for example :
MessageSend subclass: #Test
	 instanceVariableNames: ''
	classVariableNames: ''
	module: #(People ab TestExtend)

> Then I use the ModuleTool to look at what I just loaded. I ask to look at
> 'People NedKonz', and I see all the modules.
>
> I click on 'People NedKonz Connectors' and all seems well.
>
> I click on 'People NedKonz Connectors Squeak Development Debugger delta' and
> I get a walkback in ModuleTool>>updateStatePanel, because self
> getModuleFromListIndex returned nil.
>
> Apparently the problem is that your code is trying to do this:
>
> Module fromPath: #('People' 'NedKonz' 'Connectors' 'Squeak' 'Development'
> 'Debugger' 'delta')
>
> when it should be doing this:
>
> Module fromPath: #('People' 'NedKonz' 'Connectors' 'Squeak Development
> Debugger delta')

Okay okay, I will fix it. The problem is
'a b c' substrings => #(a b c)
but
'a b c ''d e f''' substrings => #(a b c ''d e f'') as expected in fact

Are you sure to want to use a such name ?

Regards,
Alexandre