[VM] unstability

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu Jan 31 18:12:58 UTC 2002

Hi, Stephane,

I'm using the exact same vm as you, and an up-to-date 3.3a image,
under mac os8.6; since yesterday, after the module code came in
(though not necessarily *because* of the module code) my Squeak has
frozen up on me, unaccountably and unpredictably, perhaps half a
dozen times.  Which is around six more than than my daily average.

When, sometimes during such a freeze, I'm able to get cmd-dot to
interrupt, I find control lost in seemingly complex infinite
recursion in the modules code.

The difficulty does not appear to be easily repeatable -- the same
step (e.g. a simple tile-scripting gesture) will sometimes be
uneventful and sometimes lock up the system.

I even, last night, had Squeak freeze while it was not the active
app, and was not doing anything except idling -- I was at the time
busily using a different app -- indeed, was in mid-sentence of
constructing an email message -- and my system just spontaneously
froze solid except for cursor tracking; a little investigation
revealed that it was Squeak that had control and was hung, so badly
hung that it was not ever yielding to the os.

So you're *not* the only one.

   -- Scott