3.2, Help wanted. Now we're getting somewhere.

John Voiklis voiklis at redfigure.org
Mon Jul 1 15:17:38 UTC 2002

> Thanks for the initiative. Maybe a sort of guideline, or how the
> documentations should look, be used and be written is a good place
> to start.

For the first draft let's use a modified version of a manpage; we can worry
about adding interactivity later. Here is a basic fill-in-the-blank form:

1) Morph Name:

2) What Is It/What Problems Does It Solve: (one paragraph explaining what
purpose the Morph serves)

3) Dependencies: (cross-reference to what other Morphs does it require to
function properly, e.g. chat requires badges)

4) How To Instantiate: (programmatically, via flap, via Morph Catalog)

6) Step-by-step Tutorial of Use/Functionality: (how does one use this Morph)

Suggestions for other form items are welcome.

> I would love to se some media rich and imaginative thinking go into
> how the documentation is made, and have the documentation show off
> a few of Squeaks qualities.

I agree that the manual should not be static images and text: Morphs should
be functional and code executable. Animationas that show how to work with a
Morph may be helpful, as well. We can decide what kind and what level of
interactivity we want once we have good solid text.

Given that it appears that people are serious about this, I will create a
Swiki for User Manual submissions at:

http://workshop.madeleinelengle.org/userManual

Username: authors
Password: koyaanisqatsi

Given that I have kids using other swikis on this site, the userManual swiki
will not appear in list of swikis and accessing it will require the
username:password combination.

Best,

John