Lowcost Handheld ARM system for Squeak (was RE: Dynapad R0.1 Rele ased)

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Jul 2 16:30:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Swan, Dean wrote:

> Actually, It's 16.78 MHz ARM 7, but the RAM limitation is the real
> problem.  If you want a *very* inexpensive 133 MHz ARM9 based machine
> with a 320x240x16bit 3.5 inch color display, 8 megabytes of SDRAM, and
> an SMC memory card port, and USB port, I'd suggest the GP32.  It's still
> only available in Korea, but you can also buy it mail order from
> Lik-Sang in Hong Kong for $159 US + shipping.  There are a lot of
> development support tools available on the net.

At $160+shipping, you could get an iPAQ 3150.  With the iPAQ 3150, you
also get 16 MB of RAM rather than 8 MB. You get a color screen with the
GP32, which is a mixed blessing.  What I see as the biggest barrier to
using the GP32 with Squeak or as a handheld computer (rather than just a
GameBoy clone) is the lack of a touch screen, meaning that all you have to
interact with the unit is the d-pad and A/B/Start buttons.  Maybe some
chording setup could be devised, but even mousing around with the d-pad is
a huge pain in the rear.

But then again, if could be great for just playing Squeak games.  Quick,
grab that paralax code off of BSS, and get cracking! :)

(oops! found this in my posponed mail in pine!)

Aaron