log me in!

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Tue Jul 2 20:21:12 UTC 2002

Aaron,

> Had you seen this before you set out on your project?
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2002-March/011592.html

Err, nope.  Oops.  Nevermind...   ;-)

(I only did it for fun anyway.)

> Felix's Vt100 implementation is interesting because it does not rely on
> any changes to the VM.

It's not the terminal emulation that needs changes, it's the socket
handling.  When telnetd decides something "urgent" has happened (e.g.,
when the remote process receives INTR)  it sends back an out-of-band data
byte which is not picked up by the regular read()/recv() machinery.  The
VM changes are needed to recover this information without which telnet
protocol cannot be implemented properly.

> For anyone who has tried both- does Ian's or Felix's feel faster? (not to
> pit them against eachother or anything)

Mine is HOPELESSLY SLOW.  I've not spent any time at all trying to make
the display go fast.  (E.g., it redraws the entire line whenever a
character is written.)

Has anybody tried running a VT100/102 test suite with Felix's?

> Can't wait to try it! :)

Can't wait to look at what Felix has done.  :)

Cheers,

Ian