Microsoft license agreement

David Buck david at simberon.com
Wed Jul 3 17:41:13 UTC 2002

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) wrote:

>When installing YAMSP (Yet Another Microsoft Security Patch) today I noted
>the following in the End-User License Agreement:
>
>	* You may not disclose the results of any benchmark test
>	of the .NET Framework component of the OS Components to
>	any third party without Microsoft's prior written approval.
>
>Golly, I *knew* I'd find a reason to load .NET...  :-)

There is a similar clause in the Cincom license agreement:

    5.3 Licensee shall not transfer or otherwise disclose (i) the
    Products, (ii) any associated programs derived or developed from the
    Products, or (iii) the results of any benchmark tests run on the
    Products, without the prior express written approval of Cincom.

It sounds like a pretty standard clause.  I must say, that benchmarking
is very tricky business and comparing apples to apples is hard. I don't
blame these companies for not wanting benchmarks posted by people who
don't understand how to write good fair benchmarks.

David Buck
Simberon Inc.
www.simberon.com