Balloon3D problem

David Duke D.Duke at bath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 15:49:24 UTC 2002

Karl Ramberg wrote:

>>I'm still having the segmentation fault; although I can now at least
>>look more closely at what is going on, I would still be grateful for any
>>suggestions.
>>

> Do you have the Squeak 3D plugin ?
> Is it listed when you print:
>
> Smalltalk listBuiltinModules
>
> or
>
> Smalltalk listLoadedModules

It appears under builtin modules: 'Squeak3D 5 June 2002 (i)'

I was concerned in case I had made a mistake installing the system, so
I've gone back to Ian Piumarta's site and downloaded the 3.2-2 VM and
the 3.2gamma-4881 image.  The problem remains: using B3DCone will crash
the application UNLESS B3DBox has been rendered previously.

I do however now have a file Squeak3D.log being created.  It contains
the message "ERROR: Failed to look up stDisplay".  Now, this message is
produced in function glInitialize(), defined in the source file
platforms/unix/plugins/sqUnixOpenGL.c, if it can't look up "stDisplay"
in the interpreterProxy, via ioLoadFunctionWith(..).  Looking at the
condition under which this message is produced, it seems that the
consequent failure to set the value of stDisplay is the cause of the
segmentation fault.

However, this doesn't address the real question: why does running
B3DSampleMorph with my B3DCone as geometry work only after running
B3DBox as geometry?  Could anyone expand on how/where glInitialize is
being invoked, and why stDisplay might be ?

> I have tested Squeak without the 3D plugin and Squeak will
> then fall back on the smalltalk version of the plugin and that
> is not very snappy.

As a result of the above, I'm assuming that I'm running the actual plug-in.

	-- David