Jython vs Squeak for teaching multimedia

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 4 13:46:09 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 11:41  PM, Roger Whitney wrote:
> I think the reason objects and classes may be avoided in intro classes
> is that the people who teach them think objects are too complex for
> students.

I once asked Alan Kay what kind of language/programming should be taught
in a first course in a University.  (Alan, please do correct me if I'm
mis-remembering your answer.)  He suggested that students should NOT
first be taught object-oriented programming.  Object-oriented
programming is hard, on purpose, he said.  It's meant to produce good,
reusable code.  That takes some discipline.

That doesn't mean that first-time students shouldn't program WITH
objects.  E-toys are all about objects, and that makes life easier.  But
E-toys-using students aren't dealing with class definitions and
instance/class distinctions and all those other things that make
object-oriented programs high-quality, but are fairly hard things to
learn.

Alan's suggestion (which he re-iterated at the MM in CS Ed workshop,
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mmworkshop) is that a first programming
course should be in multiple languages so that students don't latch on
to only one way of thinking.  I've heard him propose assembly language
and LISP as giving students two ends of a spectrum.

Mark