Where is update info?

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Fri Jul 5 07:59:08 UTC 2002

Sergei Gnezdov <sergei-gnezdov-pub at pobox.com> wrote:
> Does it make sense to use swiki instead of mailing list?
> In this case mailing list is just a notification about changes on swiki.
> Main reason: A lot of knowledge never leaves this list.
> Second reason: Knowledge is not categorized in the mailing list.

I don't think it would be better.  I like the mailing list.  It can be
archived to provide a sequential flow as well as being searchable.  I
find I will read the list daily, but would get to the Swiki less often.
Of course, this "out of sight; out of mind" aspect has the disadvantage
that errors etc. on the Swiki don't cry out as loudly.  I agree that it
is desirable to get the knowledge from the list to the Swiki, and that
is where each of us could do that.  I think some of us are naturally
reluctant to rework the Swiki for fear that we aren't qualified, but I
think we should try to get over that and make a stab at it.  (I'm
falling down on the job.)

> A problem: Correctness or applicability of information on swiki.
> It is not clear when information on swiki is outdated, because of the new
> sqeak release.

Yes, and again, each of us should update the information we know about
when we come across something out of date.

-- Frank