Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Stéphane Rollandin hepta at zogotounga.net
Sat Jul 6 19:48:34 UTC 2002

At 21:12 06/07/02, you wrote:
>>What you're describing is a situation where, to prevent people from
>>stealing cars, all cars are to be sold with no wheels, all tied
>>togethers, and only able to go one way.
>>These cars exist already, we call them trains...
>>So I guess we are not talking about computers any more... we are talking
>>about playstations !
>
>Hey, I never said it wasn't an absurd situation - but it seems to be the
>way that things are going with the DMCA and upcoming mandatory DRM
>legislation; it'll turn the PC into a multimedia player/game console,
>basically.

I went for some documentation/analysis, and here is what I found:

The Futility of Digital Copy Prevention
http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0105.html#3

.. which I got from:

Magical Thinking
http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1827/byt1008956384733/1224_oped.html

... itself linked by:

Hollywood Wants to Plug the "Analog Hole"
http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

these 3 papers share my this-does-not-make-any-sense view :)

ok, sorry for all these OT messages. I shut up now.

Stef