Weekend Project Update [was: log me in!]

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Tue Jul 9 08:23:32 UTC 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Felix Franz wrote:

> working. I tried your 'telnet.cs': wow! Works like a charm

You're making me blush.  ;)

> > Anyone know if Felix is still maintaining his emulator?
>
> no, I don't.

In which case I hope you don't mind too much that I spent another weekend
hacking on telnet and terminals...

For anyone who might find it useful, there's a new version here:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/goodies.html

and a new screenshot to go with it:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/telnet2.gif

The telnet stuff should now work on Mac and Windows too (assuming they
implement Socket>>setOption:value: correctly) but please let me know
if you try it on these platforms, since I haven't.

I tweaked performance in TtyMorph a little: it now runs at 20% the speed
of the real xterm.  It also comes with its own font now, infinitely nicer
than Atlanta.

Oh yes, I also added support for "connecting" to a pseudo tty.  IOW,
it now supports talking to a local interactive shell (that thinks it's
connected to a real terminal [which it is, although the terminal is
being emulated entirely in Squeak ;-] and so will work just like any
login shell should: job control, window tcset/getattr work properly
[so Emacs, less and friends will happily run], etc, etc...).

For the shell to work you need AsynchFilePlugin support and the (brand
new) PseudoTTYPlugin.  (It just so happens they're bundled in the new
3.2-3 Unix VMs. ;)

Hope you like it.  Enjoy!

Ian

PS: The PTYPlugin should work with any OS that provides Unix98-compliant
    ptys (I've tested it on GNU and Solaris).  Cygwin has them, but plain
    Windows almost certainly doesn't.  (MacOS [version 9 and earlier]
    hasn't a rat's chance. ;)

PPS: If there's a real interest in this stuff then I could be persuaded
     to add some pages to a swiki explaining it all.