Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak

Steven Swerling sps2000 at mail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:40:08 UTC 2002

Jim Benson wrote:

> As far as implementing native widgets and windows, there's one "trick" and
> the rest is straightforward. You know all this, but I'll write it anyway.

Jim,

Actually, I didn't know all that, I'm glad you wrote it :)

What if you don't want native widgets, but you do want native windows
and window frames? I believe users will be thrown a little bit by having
a bunch of entities that look just like application windows, but
actually are not ("why can't I minimize it to the application dock, why
can't I alt-tab to it?"). However, I *don't* believe users will be
thrown by widgets like buttons or comboboxes that look just like OS
ones, but actually are not.

Are callbacks required, say, for implementing a modeless child window as
an OS window containing a Morphic world?

In otherwords, is the problem simplified if the only callbacks you need
are for a couple of special cases, such as resizing of windows, rather
than a generalized callback implementation?