Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak

Steven Swerling sps2000 at mail.com
Tue Jul 9 18:39:59 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab wrote:

>>True, but they will make it *a little bit* easier. If SqueakC
>>decides to change a module on which my work depends, it won't
>>effect my work *until I want it too*. I can still use the old
>>version of the effected module with my project.
>

> That's exactly where the illusion starts. You assume that the "standard
> image" will be without that module you are using and that was changed.
> What makes you think so? It will be the case that a Squeak version X.Y
> will contain modules of versions X.Y. If your module does not work with
> them you are in exactly the same situation as you are if you require a
> certain Squeak version without modules.

It's not quite correct that I assume the standard image will be w/out a
module I was using and that was changed. My assumption was that you
could make your own module dependent on a given version of another
module. If that were the case, I could take my application that depends
on MorphicKernel version A and NetworkingKernel version A, and change it
so that it works with NetworkingKernel version Z but still use
MorphicKernel version A (even if other applications in the same image
are using the newer MorphicKernel version Z). Then again, if my
grandmother had wheels she'd be a bus. Illusion shattered thus...