Weekend Project Update [was: log me in!]

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Jul 9 13:28:06 UTC 2002

Ian, this is great stuff!

I vote that this be put into the main image.  We have a web browser,
email client, and IRC client in the main image now...I'd argue that a
telnet client (and terminal emulation) is quite a bit more useful to
more people than an IRC client (not suggesting that IRC be removed).

- Stephen

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/goodies.html

and a new screenshot to go with it:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/telnet2.gif

The telnet stuff should now work on Mac and Windows too (assuming they
implement Socket>>setOption:value: correctly) but please let me know if
you try it on these platforms, since I haven't.

I tweaked performance in TtyMorph a little: it now runs at 20% the speed
of the real xterm.  It also comes with its own font now, infinitely
nicer than Atlanta.

Oh yes, I also added support for "connecting" to a pseudo tty.  IOW, it
now supports talking to a local interactive shell (that thinks it's
connected to a real terminal [which it is, although the terminal is
being emulated entirely in Squeak ;-] and so will work just like any
login shell should: job control, window tcset/getattr work properly [so
Emacs, less and friends will happily run], etc, etc...).

For the shell to work you need AsynchFilePlugin support and the (brand
new) PseudoTTYPlugin.  (It just so happens they're bundled in the new
3.2-3 Unix VMs. ;)

Hope you like it.  Enjoy!

Ian

PS: The PTYPlugin should work with any OS that provides Unix98-compliant
    ptys (I've tested it on GNU and Solaris).  Cygwin has them, but
plain
    Windows almost certainly doesn't.  (MacOS [version 9 and earlier]
    hasn't a rat's chance. ;)

PPS: If there's a real interest in this stuff then I could be persuaded
     to add some pages to a swiki explaining it all.