Squeak as a desktop

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed Jul 10 16:08:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:01:51AM -0500, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>
> > I've just been playing around with the lates 3.2gamma and some of the
> > goodies that have been released of late...it seems that with a combination
> > of Zurgle (for looks), Ian's Telnet/Pty emulator and OSProcess, you can
> > now safely do completely away with any other desktop and work solely
> > within Squeak (on Linux, at least).
>
> I was doing just that on top of Mac OS X.  The only thing I was leaving
> Squeak for was a web browser.  So, I switched to Debian, figuring that OS
> X is overkill if all you're using is OmniWeb and Squeak.  Now I'm using
> Squeak and Opera, and them in the same workspace, two tabs in ion. :)

:) At one time I was simply firing up Squeak full-screen instead of any
window manager.  With the PTY/xterm stuff I can now use Mutt and Links
from Squeak quite well!

> > Anyone want to write some ICCCM extensions for Squeak so it can become
> > the worlds most extensible window manager? :)
>
> Actually, a while back I was considering such a thing.  Probably not a
> full ICCCM set to make Squeak *the* window managaer, but a handful of
> FFIs to allow switching X11 windows from Squeak while running another
> wm.

There used to be a Scheme/Lisp window manager floating around at one time...
I think it was called "GWM" or something like that.  It seemed like an
interesting idea (although I can't stand scheme personally).  Squeak-as-a-
window-manager would certainly be interesting in this respect...a sort
of roundabout way to get Morphs sitting side-by-side with X11 applications.

> > Great work folks...Squeak just keeps getting better and better!
>
> Amen!  Good to see some enthusiasm, I spend too much time on #squeak,
> where no one gets as pumped as I do. :P (/me ducks)

Well, I usually lag considerably behind all the goodies and things...when
I get caught up, I get to experience them all at once. :)