Squeak as a desktop

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:29:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Kevin Fisher wrote:

> > > Anyone want to write some ICCCM extensions for Squeak so it can become
> > > the worlds most extensible window manager? :)
> >
> > Actually, a while back I was considering such a thing.  Probably not a
> > full ICCCM set to make Squeak *the* window managaer, but a handful of
> > FFIs to allow switching X11 windows from Squeak while running another
> > wm.
>
> There used to be a Scheme/Lisp window manager floating around at one time...
> I think it was called "GWM" or something like that.  It seemed like an
> interesting idea (although I can't stand scheme personally).  Squeak-as-a-
> window-manager would certainly be interesting in this respect...a sort
> of roundabout way to get Morphs sitting side-by-side with X11 applications.

There are a couple of them:

1. Sawfish (http://sawfish.sf.net) which is quite popular as a smaller WM
running on top of GNOME.  Sawfish uses it's own Lispish language called
rep whose closest relative is elisp.
2. GWM (http://koala.ilog.fr/gwm/) which is based on it's own weird Lisp.
GWM is pretty old, hasn't been worked on in a long time, but still works.
3. SCWM (http://scwm.sf.net), the scheme constraints window manager.
Based on Guile Scheme, which is a real-live Scheme, rather than a slightly
weird Lisp.
4. GwML (http://pauillac.inria.fr/para/cdrom/prog/unix/efuns/eng.htm),
which isn't written in Scheme, but O-Caml another snazzy functional
language.

There are also a couple more primitive WMs in vaguely similar languages,
one each in Perl, Python, and Tcl/Tk.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"Like the creators of sitcoms or junk food or package tours, Java's designers were
consciously designing a product for people not as smart as them."  ::  paul graham