Squeak as a desktop

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:30:43 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Oh, I wish I could have Opera running in Squeak. :)
Well we _sort of_ had a solution to this for exobox, though it wasn't
quite ready for prime time in my opinion. It was actually intended for
mozilla and involved messing with the window z-order or somesuch. It
meant that mozilla would 'display through' an area in the squeak window.

A previous experiment redirected all the drawing done by mozilla to
morphs, which meant that you could deconstruct the browser, but it was a
bit slow.

I suspect that a plausible middle ground would be to have mozilla draw
to a window that is handled as an external bitmap and just splatted onto
the squeak Display like any other morph bitmap. The remaining exercise
for the reader is to work out how to handle input events adequately and
pass the on to the mozilla code properly.

tim
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.