Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Jul 10 16:32:16 UTC 2002

I too agree that having the ability to do what we can and normally do in
Squeak windows in other/additional OSNative windows would be a great
feature. I also agree that that feature would be compelling on its own
and not requiring any interfacing to native UI widgets per se.

I know many/most users like and desire OSNative UI elements they have
grown accustomed to. I have 4 Macs and 1 Linux machine (mine). My wife
and children have only used Macs, minus minimal uses/forays onto my
machine or Windows machines at the libraries. My wife always notices
when she is using an app which does not use the native Mac menu bar.

My personal opinion is that UI issues/opinions like such can be overcome
by having a quality UI which frienldy to the user even if it is
different from the OS UI. What we need is compelling applications which
draw the user to want to use our tool regardless/despite a non-native
UI. Compelling apps with quality (compelling) UI would be enough. For
those who it isn't good enough for... Oh well they can be stuck in the
world they choose. :)

I believe the living environment Squeak provides could provide for
compelling differences in normal everyday apps. I haven't gotten into
using Celeste yet. But I do long for the day when I have a "usable by
me" email client in Squeak. Malleable and Customizable. :)

I believe when those apps come and I believe they will. Then we will
begin to see users of normal apps using Squeak. :)

Jimmie Houchin