{bad habits] Squeak for Windows - Ctrl instead of Alt key

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 10 21:26:19 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 02:10 pm, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> > As to the Alt & Ctrl keypress debate, I'm actually happy enough
> > with it as it is. While I've no objection  to some swap around
> > appearing as a preference, I'd like Squeak, by default, to
> > operate the same on all OSs.

So would I.

I want Squeak to behave the same:

I want it to use the normal keys for editing on the Mac: Cmd-whatever
I want it to use the normal keys for editing in Windows: Ctrl-whatever
I want it to use the normal keys for editing in KDE: Ctrl-whatever

It doesn't bother me that these keys have different names (and
positions) on the different machines; because I use other programs
besides Squeak I am already used to the different conventions.

The use of the Alt modifier is troublesome on some platforms and with
some window managers, as it's often used for window manager commands.

I can (by messing around a bit) define a spare key on my keyboard as a
Meta key to use with the window manager, but this isn't standard in
XFree86.

Switching the window manager to use a different modifier key is not
possible in Windows, AFAIK.

Anyway, the Alt/Ctrl swap (for C,V,X,A, and other keys as desired) has
been added as a preference. And the default is to not have those keys
swapped.

But I do think that there should be a note somewhere in the Readme.txt
or elsewhere about being able to swap those keys (and the mouse
buttons).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com