[Win32][RFC]: Default settings for Ctrl vs. Alt

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jul 10 23:11:39 UTC 2002

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 July 2002 02:22 pm, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > I tried it for about half an hour and it
> > drove me insane that Ctrl-C is copy but Alt-S is save and that
> > Ctrl-F is ifFalse and Alt-F is find...).
>
> You can swap those too...
>
> InputSensor installSwappedKeyEntryFor: $s.
> InputSensor installSwappedKeyEntryFor: $f.
>
> though I think these will be reset if you turn swapping off and back
> on.

I would strongly recommend having the preference swap all eight keys which are currently reversed in Windows versus Squeak.  I believe these eight keys are:

x (cut)
c (copy)
v (paste)
a (select all)
s (save)
f (find)
g (find again)
z (undo)

(I don't think there are any other modifier keys that are letter-equivalent between Windows & Squeak.)

In other words, InputSensor class>>installKeyDecodeTable should be changed to use the collection { $c . $x . $v . $a . $s . $f . $g . $z } instead of what it has now.

I think this would prevent Andreas from going insane. :)

As far as whether the preference should be on by default on Windows platforms, there are pluses and minuses either way.  I might lean toward having the preference on by default for Windows users, since the people who prefer Alt are probably more familiar with Squeak and would be more likely to know how to switch the preference back.

- Doug Way
  Detroit, MI