Squeak 3.2 tinglingly close

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu Jul 11 00:27:35 UTC 2002

Well, Wednesday morning has come and gone and 3.2 is not quite out the door.

I do have a "final" 3.2 prepared, which I've zipped up and put on a
private server to hand back to Dan.

In it, in addition to performing those four steps that transform it
from the last 3.2gamma to "Squeak 3.2" itself, I've made last-minute
manual adjustments to the initial-screen content relating to issues
that came to light since gamma5 went out, including:

* Eliminated those spurious servers from the server-list in a file-list.

* Revised wording in the Welcome window concerning "majorShrink", and
added a link to the page on the swiki that discusses shrinking.

What's still holding us back from calling this Golden is some
uncertainty about color maps in Forms in .pr files, revolving around
issues discussed this past week in the thread "[BUG] reloading
projects results in mangled images".   I think that Michael Rueger
and Bob Arning are both energetically looking into this right now.

Dan is due back home tonight (Wednesday night.)  I *know* he was
expecting and hoping that by the time he got back, 3.2 would already
long since have shipped.  I regret that it's not *quite* there yet,
although once we make a determination of what to do regarding the
colorMap problem, it *could* be shipped on a moment's notice.

In any case, it is only fitting and proper that Dan should touch the
image last before it goes Golden.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:  Thank you to the many people who provided bug reports,
suggestions, and other help regarding the succession of 3.2gamma
releases, both on-list and off-list.  Your help and support has been
invaluable.