Mailing List Archive(s)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Jul 11 10:08:52 UTC 2002

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Question 3: roughly how large _are_ the archives?
> I've estimated 2-3kB per message from a sample, 10-40 messages
> per day, call it 1/2 to 3 1/2 MB per month.  So my very rough
> estimate is 40 to 300MB, and the student (who has worked in the
> industry) calls 300 MB "small".

He,s just being polite. He actually suppressed the urge to call it
'tiny' ;-)

> Question 4: would there be any interest in having the mailing
> list archives accessible through an Information Retrieval engine?

Not only the list archives, but all relevant sites as well. In fact,
you're beating me to it: I have been toying with the idea to set up a
proof-of-concept 'topic-specific' search engine with a focus on Squeak,
where the on-line archives, Squeak-specific websites, etcetera would all
be collected.

What's the difference between an IR engine and a Internet search engine?