How am I trashing memory? Help with my Spread plugin, please...

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jul 15 04:32:37 UTC 2002

I'm new to Slang and VM plugin writing. I've read Andrew's paper
(which helped quite a bit) but am still managing to segfault Squeak
reliably.

I'm hoping one of you VM/plugin hackers out there can take a look at
this and maybe spot some glaring error on my part.

I've attached the plugin sources, set up for simulation (i.e. no other
libraries needed).

You may need an empty Makefile.inc in the
platforms/unix/plugins/SpreadPlugin directory to get this to build,
I'm not sure.

This simple script will segfault:

s _ SpreadConnection new.
s disconnect.
s connectTo: '4803' privateName: 'squeak' wantGroupMembershipMessages:
true.
s disconnect.

So I'm sure I'm doing something wrong (I'm not calling any external
libraries other than string/stdio, so it's got to be something easy
to find.

What I'm trying to make, BTW, is a Squeak interface to the Spread
distributed group communications framework (see http://www.spread.org
for details). This should be an easy, reliable way to get one-one,
one-many, or many-many communications going in Squeak.

And since there's Spread API libraries for C, Java, Perl, Ruby, and
Python, you can even make cross-platform communications work!

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com