Restricting the scope for the compiler?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 15 17:45:34 UTC 2002

Of course, having just said how I hate playing with compilers, what do I
do? Go and dig into the ^&^4$ing Compiler...

One thing that immediately sprung up to hit me was the ugly hack-around
for compiling doits and temporarily installing them to run and then (if
all goes well....) remove them. The first actual problem (as opposed
to aesthetic gripe) that seems like a realistic possibility is related
to multiple processes. Normally of course this isn't likely to be a
problem because doits are really intended for interactive use within the
main user process. If, however, one is running them as part of a
webblication there is a plausible chance that some other process may
just try a doit at the same time. Depends somewhat on the details of the
web framework.

I think I'm correct in suggesting that both aspects could be improved by
implementing a prim to run a method without having to install it in a
method dictionary. I _thought_ I'd seen such a prim somewhere, but it
isn't anywhere I've looked so far.

I'll happily write such a prim, but not if somebody else already has; I
hate redundant duplication unnecessarily repeated..

tim
Useful random insult:- A photographic memory, but the lens cover is glued on.