Animorphic ST (Strongtalk) released!

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Tue Jul 16 18:38:52 UTC 2002

Hi Dan,

[snip]
>Some questions are:
>
>         Would the system benefit from being cast into StrongTalk?
>                 and how much work would this be?

Some type of typed system lead us to some sort of multiple inheritance. The
types could be:

1) ala C++: Multiple inheritance of implementation and protocol -> no comments.
2) ala Java / Objective C: Multiple inheritance of protocol.
2) ala StrongTalk: Multiple inheritance but based on mixins.

IMHO, the benefits (if any [*]) don't pay the complexity.

[*] I'm not a very old smalltalker, but I have some years of experience and
never the type-less system was a problem to me.... on the contrary, I feel
that the type-less system helps in the process of development.

>         Would anyone care if it ran 10 times faster?
>                 and how much work would this be?

Yes... of course!  I use Squeak (for example) to simulate complex systems
and the extra performance is ever welcome.

>         Would it be fun to do?

I don't know, you tell me :-)

>Comments?
>
>         - Dan