Swiki locked

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Jul 16 19:41:07 UTC 2002

I wonder if this problem could ultimately be solved using some sort of
web of trust relationships?  Here's how it might work:

  - when a Swiki is created, the creator is issued a key that can be
used to edit the Swiki
  - others that would like to edit the Swiki can only do so by
requesting a key from someone that already has a key (initially just he
creator, but soon, there would be many people with keys)
  - any key could be traced all the way back to the creator of the Swiki
  - any key can be revoked at any time, eliminating the possibility of
that key being used to edit the Swiki

And, finally, since you must contact an existing editor of a Swiki in
order to get a key, an abuser would have a hard time continuing to do
their dirty deeds after they've been identified.  In fact, since they
have to make direct contact with someone else before making their first
edits, it may eliminate the problem entirely.

The only downside (aside from implementation issues) is that it might be
enough trouble that some potential legitimate editors might turn away
rather than bother with getting a key.

- Stephen