outdoor computing

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Tue Jul 16 22:51:07 UTC 2002

Hi Dan--

	I'm currently wandering around with an iPAQ; it's been great.

	The small-screen problem is solved by the nyditot virtual-display
driver (nyditot.com). It enables a virtual display of up to 2000x2000,
with zooming and panning. The keyboard problem is solved by the Targus
Stowaway keyboard (http://targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=PA840U), an
utterly brilliant folding keyboard that feels better than any laptop
keyboard I've had, and folds to the size of the iPAQ.

	Finally, the FlipOut case
(http://flipoutpda.com/iPaq_3700_3800/ipaq_3700_3800.html) is another
very clever thing that makes the iPAQ much more compelling. It's worn on
the waist like a fanny pack, and enables use of the machine without
having to take the case off my body, or even the iPAQ out of the case.
When I'm not using the machine, it's essentially invisible (and all my
pockets are free :). It makes it very easy to start or stop hacking with
no notice, anywhere. It has become my tail. :)

	I've been using this setup a lot recently, while traveling, and am very
happy with it.

-C

--
Craig Latta