help!!! image may be trashed

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 17 21:53:07 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 02:34 pm, Rob Whitfield wrote:
> I accidentally did a save-and-exit from the world menu while a
> debug window was active.  When I reentered squeak with the saved
> image the debug window came up as expected.  But I can't exit the
> window.  If  I try squeak hangs (not in a loop - just no response
> from squeak).  If I resize the debug window squeak hangs.   If I
> "proceed" in the debug window I hang after an error message
> appears.  I can minimize the debug window without causing problems.

Since you can bring up the world menu, have you tried switching
projects?

> I can fileout my changes and start my image from scratch but when I
> fileout all my variable names get renamed into simple t1, t2, t3
> names.  I sure don't want to try and support my code after being
> mangled like this.

Why are your variable names getting renamed?

> I also tried the world->changes but I keep getting errors so I
> don't think I can back out the recent activity.

You know, your changes file may be truncated. I just had this happen
(WHY?) and the changes file ended up being too short. I had to
hand-edit the code.

If you can look at the .changes file with a different editor, see if
what you typed is there. If it is, you can copy it off to a separate
changes file and file it in (or browse changes, etc.).

If you've lost the .changes file, you're hosed with respect to your
variable names anyway. (i.e. if you browse your methods, do you see
your variable names or not?).

> I can open individual methods to recover source but this would take
> many hours to do since I have so much code.  Is there a way to
> fileout that preserves variable names?

A normal fileout should preserve variable names.

If it doesn't, this suggests that your changes file may somehow have
gotten out of sync with your image.

Do you have errors when you try to view source in the methods?

If not, you should be able to fileout the classes separately.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running on windows at the
> moment.  I may try and open the image with OSX and see if I can
> recover from a different VM environment.

First thing to do: *make a copy of the image and changes file*!

This may seem obvious, but I've forgotten to do it in the past.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com