using Weekend project (squeak teletype) through a firewall

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Thu Jul 18 16:23:12 UTC 2002

Hi Mike,

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Mike Rutenberg wrote:

> If you have SSH installed (which is part of Cygwin), then you can use it
> to tunnel a connection through the firewall from the squeak terminal to
> the remote host.

Another way to do this is to open a shell session and use this as the
shell:

	/usr/bin/ssh login at host.name

or, if you want to run a program at the remote end (e.g., pine) then:

	/usr/bin/ssh -t login at host.name pine

(which will cause pine to modify the title of the collapsed tty window and
beep whenever mail arrives :).  Of course, this only works in Unix for now
until somebody ports PseudoTTY to Windows.

Another handy one is:

	/usr/bin/emacs -nw

after turning on the "enable alternate screen colours" preference in the
VT options menu [1].

BTW, I _strongly_ advise anyone using the terminal stuff to fetch the
latest version (297) which has various improvements and *lots* of new
features (which I'll leave as a surprise ;) compared the last one that I
announced.  (In fact I think it might almost be considered "beta" quality
now...)

If you do fetch the latest version and you've previously filed-in the
MouseOverFix then you should definitely revert the two methods that were
changed.  (The problem is now fixed in the tty code which is more careful
about when it changes things around, in light of Morphic's background
display process.)

Regards,

Ian

[1] There's no preference for this (yet... sorry) but to get the full
effect you should open a halo on the TtyWindow (the next morph down from
the top window) and open an inspector on it from the debug handle.  Then
evaluate this in the inspector:

	cursorColour _ Color red.  self linesChanged

in order to get the "Full Emacs Experience".  ;^)