[OT][Q] multimedia hardware recommendation (please help)

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 18:32:18 UTC 2002

On Monday 22 Jul 2002 7:10 pm, Norton, Chris wrote:

I'd go for AMD _every_ time over P4. One day people will (perhaps) write
software which runs faster on P4 than AMD. In the meantime, the AMD
processors are both faster and (many) more bangs for your buck.

> 3.  A very good (affordable) scanner & a recommendation of what software
> may be good for my goals (family photo album)

For your use, just about anything will do! (Honestly). I've got a cheapo
Mustek BearPaw usb. It'll scan up to 1200 dpi, which, unless you've got a
really great printer, will be just fine. It comes with a fair bit of
software, but the Gimp is probably the second best image processing package,
it's available for Windows, and it's free. Buy a PS2 and the Linux kit with
the money you save over Photoshop!

http://www.gimp.org and follow the link

> 4.  How much memory do I need?  I was thinking 512MB, but perhaps I need
> more?

Why not start there and see how you get on? You might like to buy a good
graphics card.

> 5.  Is there anything else you recommend?  I'm a little rusty at buying
> computers.

I'd always recommend you _build_ your own, and that you use Linux, but then,
you don't want to hear that............

Cheers

John