Pictures of platforms?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 22 23:44:13 UTC 2002

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Thanks Tim!
>
> Hey, by the way, do you have any pix of the good old ActiveBook?
Hmm, oddly enough I was thinking about that this morning whilst
walking the dog. Back in those days of course we didn't have digital
cameras (in fact I think Fox Talbot had yet to invent photons at that
point, and trains were still steam powered) so I have no convenient
piccies.
However, I _do_ still have a machine that used to run the hardware
simulation I wrote. I have no idea if it still boots up, and it will be
an interesting exercise to find a monitor it will talk to (remember,
they used small insects running down small-bore hyperdermic tubes to
ferry pixels in those days), but there is a faint chance it might be
persuaded to work. Then we have to hope that the bits haven't rotted
away.

Hmm, it looks like I have some very ancient floppy discs which claim to
hold an archived ABC image, but in some format that requires a strange
reader. And the old VM will not run on a current Acorn machine because
the BitBlt is self compiling and assumes a complete absence of cache.
The cache on a StrongARM is not an intersnooping type, so writing
instructions through the data cache causes all sorts of fun. Wonder
if the old VM source code would even compile? Perhaps I'll try it and
see.

tim
Strange OpCodes: ESBD: Erase System and Burn Documentation