Cash for Docs (was: Anyone interested in publishing an article/bo ok chapter on Squeak plugin programming?)

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Tue Jul 23 18:46:40 UTC 2002

Ned Konz [mailto:ned at bike-nomad.com] wrote on Sunday, July 21, 2002:

I thought I'd write a magazine article on Squeak plugin programming.
Unfortunately, I probably have to try to make some money off it, since I
find myself wondering where rent will come from.

Ned, I wonder if perhaps you (& other fiscally challenged Squeak experts)
could solicit money for documents directly from the Squeak community at
large?  I am not overly wealthy, but I, and I suspect others, might be
willing to donate some money towards the goal of getting Squeak documented
(I have suggested this before).  If enough people pledge $$, perhaps you
might be willing to publish your work to the Swiki?

If the experts on this list make an honest attempt at documenting some of
the important (as yet undocumented) bits of Squeak, I could be persuaded to
donate... say up to $100 (US) towards that goal.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be for people to solicit docs, via the
Swiki, and then experts could solicit donations for that documentation.
I.e. you could say:  "I'll document the Morph class if I can get 20 people
to donate $20 towards that goal..."

I recall some bugs were fixed for beers and t-shirts in the past.  Mayhap
we're ready to pay for documentation.  :-)

Just a thought,

---==> Chris

PS>  As an added incentive, I suppose that any docs that wind up in the
source code could include the author's name, as well as a list of his/her
sponsor's names.

PPS>  If you have a PayPal account, I could have money sent to you almost
instantaneously.  :-)