Squeak on Hard Drive MP3 Player/Recorders?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Jul 23 20:31:42 UTC 2002

Michael Rueger wrote:>
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>> I just purchased an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 hard drive MP3
>> player/recorder.
>>
>> http://www.archos.com/
>
> Isn't that one nice, I got mine about half a year ago. Definitely makes
> the transatlantic flights easier to sit through.

Yes! :)

>> This device is also connectable to a PC via USB (1 or 2). This enables
>> its usage as an extra hard drive and the ability to copy mp3s to the
>> device.
>
> Don't make to heavy use of the hard drive, mine blew up after a few
> months of heavy usage. My guess it is getting to hot when running for a
> long time.

No problem. My own use of the hard will be simply to download my MP3s to it.

>> With Squeak on the device it would enable better PC Client access to
>> the machine to modify some of the content on it.
>
> I'm afraid that most (all?) of these type of devices have rather low
> powered hardware with minimum amounts of RAM. Although, the warranty on
> mine should be over soon and then I can take a look ;-)

Bummer. I was afraid of that. But maybe when Squeak become 10x faster :)
and these things add memory or maybe even sdmemory cards or something it
could get better. Oh well.

I just bought my wife a Handspring Treo 90, but I ain't goin' there. :)
Maybe when PDAs get more powerful and we have 1gb+ memory cards. :)
Or when PDAs have the storage of these devices then the proprietary MP3
players won't have the stronghold. Then Squeak playing ogg vorbis files.
  Ahh! :)

Thanks,

Jimmie