[BUG] Smalltalk condenseSources fails with our newest image

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 23 22:03:18 UTC 2002

"Boris Gaertner" <Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> In my understanding, the following happened:
> First, all message definitions of all categories were copied
> from the old sources file (or the changes file) into the new
> sources file. Every time a method definition is copied, the
> source pointer of the compiled method is updated to point
> to the location of the message text in the new sources file.
> When all this is done, an attempt is made to copy the messages of
> category "-- all --". This attempt fails because it uses the
> new source pointer to access the old sources file.
> Is that interpretation correct?
Sounds quite plausible to me, Boris. As for why the method category gets
duplicated.... no idea, except that I've noticed it a few times and it
annoys me, though clearly not enough to have tracked it down and killed
it :-)

tim
Useful random insult:- His seat back is not in the full upright and locked position.