SnorkMan revisited

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 00:44:18 UTC 2002

OK, my thrupence worth (thrupence -- obsolete UK coinage)

IIUC, there are two levels at which Gatech could block SnorkMan. I think the
main network runs some version of NT which presumably (please, God!) has a
firewall. SnorkMan could be blocked there, but there may be "political"
implications. WTH, the Swiki runs on a Linux box which presumably has IP
Chains on it (see the IPCHAINS-HOWTO). This stops SnorkMan (at least, for the
time being), and the control is presumably within Mark's department.

It might even be possible to use packet filtering to reject non-appropriate
uploads (intentional or not -- there do seem, from time to time, to be a lot
of bmp files hanging about).

Some kind of authentification system. It would be useful if this could be
handled by ComSwiki itself. ComSwiki already has a mechanism for sending
emails. Perhaps one of the (relatively) simple authentification proceedures
used by mailing lists everywhere could be added as a "goodie". You know, you
have to either register or log in. You recieve your (individual) password in
about 5 seconds via a (valid!) email address and then log on. While there is
the potential for further abuse through throw away accounts, the nuclear IP
Chains option is still available (and quite a lot of people on this list seem
to use potentially throw away accounts).

But thanks to whoever has been maintaining and re-organising the Swiki -- I'd
not been there for a good while until the hunt for SnorkMan, and it looks,
vandalism aside, really neat and crisp and even.

Cheers

John