MySQL-Driver

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Jul 25 06:58:31 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:17:18PM -0500, Mark A. Schwenk wrote:
> This driver is a Squeak port of Josh Miller's VisualWorks driver for
> MySQL. The license for his driver is GPL. The home page for his driver
> is
>
> 	http://jdmsoft.com/MysqlDriver.html

Ups. GPL is bad for Smalltalk: Filing this into the image is
linking. And then as soon as you distribute your Programm, *everything*
needs to be GPL (even Visualworks itself...).

Why don't we (as "the greater Smalltalk community") set up a nice "Free
Smalltalk Licence". Such a License should be OSI-Approved and "compatible"
with commercial Systems like VisualWorks.

Then we should try to make it part of the Smalltalk culture to release all
free stuff under that License...

What do you think?

                Marcus

--