Squeak and SQlite Database

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 25 18:18:05 UTC 2002

One small point I'd like to make about databases is that access to
'standard' databases is quite important in many cases. New and exciting
technologies forSqueak are wonderful but not always appropriate.

For example, my test-taker website needs to run on some commercial
hosting companies machines without too many complications to add to the
cost. It would be of great benefit to have good access to some DB that
is likely to simply be there in the hosting package; ZopeDB? MySQL? I
don't know, but I'm sure it would be simpler to get things going if only
one 'wierdo' package is needed.

There's also the obvious point that there are a lot of these boring
ordinary databases around and if we could hook up to them effectively it
opens some possibilities for money making applications written in
Squeak. Making some money would come in handy for a bunch of us right
now.

Does anyone have opinions on which databases are most likely to be
provided or easily accessed under hosting  deals? Stephen P has opined
that MySQL is very common and I would imagine that ZopeDB is pretty
frequent.

Finally, wrt the MySQL licensing, has anyone checked with the author to
see if s/he/they would allow SqL on the Squeak port?

tim

How was Thomas J. Watson buried?  9 edge down.