A problem hindering SmallTalk's popularity:

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Jul 25 23:00:37 UTC 2002

Well, there are quite a few books and tutorials. They are probably in
your college library.

This project is pretty easy to do in the kids etoy part of Squeak.
You might look at squeakland.org for examples of children's projects.
Hint: exploring helps here.
      Each of the etoy scripts has event triggers, so it is easy to
make up a little animation that makes a button go through the
traditional rollover, down, and up behaviors. I just tried it and it
took just a few minutes to make a typical button.
      The challenge in this project is to think of a simple way to
handle the "signaling" of what a new button firing actually means to
all of them. This is quite (almost anyway) independent of the
language you are using. When you see how to do that, you will find it
a matter of a minute or so to get the etoy system to do it.

Cheers,

Alan

--------