Squeak on Jornada 720!

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Jul 25 22:27:22 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Thursday 25 July 2002 02:54 pm, Aaron wrote:
> > I know this is kind of a duh, but I just got Squeak running on my
> > new Jornada 720.  Beautiful!  Had to sell my poor Newt to get it,
> > but it was going unused without the ability to Squeak on it.  Who
> > needs an iBook when you have Squeak on something like this? ;)
>
> How fast does Morphic run? Is it usable?

I just recieved the device and installed Squeak, at work, and haven't had
the time to play with it much.  Speed seems (understandably) similar to
the iPAQ.  However, in the 2.8-based Dynapad image, the most noticible
place I noticed speed problems was with using CharRecog, which is no
longer much of an issue with a keyboard.  I'd say it's usable, but it was
mostly usable on the iPAQ for me.

HP hypes the J720 as having accelorated 2D gfx and a 51 MHz memory bus.
If either of these factors means better Squeaking is yet to be said, I've
done only about 2 minutes of putzing so far, but I'll be doing lots more
at home tonight. :)

Regards,
Aaron