Squeak and SQlite Database

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Jul 26 23:53:48 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> said:
>is likely to simply be there in the hosting package; ZopeDB? MySQL? I
>don't know, but I'm sure it would be simpler to get things going if only
>one 'wierdo' package is needed.

They even coined a term for the basic hosting platform: LAMP. The M is from
MySQL. Every hosting company provides it.

However, you could run an ODB inside Squeak, so you'd have just three files:
the VM, the Image, the Database. That's how I do it with OmniBase and VW, no
problem getting it hosted (oh wait, that's my own company hosting it ;-) But
you get the idea).

>There's also the obvious point that there are a lot of these boring
>ordinary databases around and if we could hook up to them effectively it
>opens some possibilities for money making applications written in
>Squeak. Making some money would come in handy for a bunch of us right
>now.

It depends on the market of course. If you were to write, say, a personal
media enriched accounting system, MySQL could be a hindrance because you would
need to teach Joe A. User to install it. Better have it all in one package in
that case, a Squeak-based ODB would be best (that reminds me, I still need to
ask about the status of OmniBase under Squeak).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo