building squeak on OSX

Roger Vossler rvossler at qwest.net
Fri Jul 26 00:15:26 UTC 2002

Hi Arjen,

I tried rebuilding both the CarbonSqueak and CocoaSqueak versions of the
Squeak VM.
The CarbonSqueak version by John McIntosh (3.2.7b6-mac-vm) probably has
fewer bugs
but is really complicated to build (6 pages of instructions). I gave up
on this.

Next, I tried Marcel Weiher's CocoaSqueak-3.2.1.dmg which I downloaded
from the UIUC
Squeak archive site. Next, I retrieved the source code
(CocoaSqueak_3_2_1_sources.tgz)
from Marcel's web site (www.metaobject.com). After putting the Project
Builder products in
a separate build folder, I was able to successfully rebuild a VM which
worked with both my
Squeak 2.8 and Squeak 3.2 images.

John, Marcel, and I agree that the Cocoa version will contain features
that will never
appear in the Carbon version because of what Cocoa is.

If you have further questions, I will be happy to try to answer them. Of
course, both John
and Marcel have cheerfully answered my questions, but sometimes there is
a time lag
of a week or two between question and reply since both of these guys are
pretty busy.

Cheers, Roger.....

PS: I use the December 2001 Developer tools on a G4 Powerbook (667GHz)
running
with OSX 10.1.5.