Squeak and SQlite Database

Colin Putney cputney at whistler.com
Fri Jul 26 17:37:12 UTC 2002

On Thursday, July 25, 2002, at 05:50  PM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> You might also consider having a look at Glorp (www.glorp.org) for some
> code for mapping objects to SQL.

As an alternative, I'm preparing to release an object-relational mapping
framework for Squeak, called Tantalus. It's pretty much finished, so it
shouldn't be long.

Tantalus was designed with these goals in mind.

1. Objects being stored in the database shouldn't have to explicitly
support persistence.

2. The persistence layer should not require exclusive access to the
database. Other applications should be able to read or modify the
database at any time with out destroying the integrity of the data.

3. The whole mechanism should not rely on transaction support from the
database.

The goals came from the requirements of a commercial project that had to
play nice with applications using MySQL without transactions. It's a bit
unorthodox, I concede, but I think the result is an interesting and
useful way of storing objects in relational databases.

Colin Putney
Whistler.com