Taking the world!

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Mon Jul 29 10:23:37 UTC 2002

> Absolutely. What smalltalk needs the most is press coverage. A good

> I believe for slashdot you need an original article to point to. I

In a recent discussion with Jon Erikson of Byte Magazine I was assured that
special coverage is planned to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of
Smalltalk's introduction.  Jon made it clear he recognizes Smalltalk and its
principals -- he pointed out the recent Dr. Dobb's award to Dan Ingalls and
Adele Goldberg -- and the special relationship Byte has to Smalltalk.  I
encouraged him to renew that relationship vis-a-vis Squeak and pointed out
some of Squeak's recent commercial and educational successes.

Letters to the Editor (write to mailto:letters2editor at byte.com) regarding
Smalltalk, and especially Squeak, would certainly help Byte's staff (and
eventually Byte's readers) to grasp the vitality which has remained in
Smalltalk's bloodline from its birth at PARC through the latest release of
Squeak.  Anyone here who has put Squeak to work in any notable way might
want to write Byte and let them know.  Note that online publishing still has
deadlines; the sooner these letters and potential articles reach Byte, the
more likely they are to be included.

Once the commemorative issue is released, of course, Slashdot, Freshmeat,
etc. may be interested.

Gary Fisher