Can't read files in WinCE Squeak?

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Jun 4 20:13:32 UTC 2002

Hola all-

In a number of image versions- 2.7, 2.8, and 3.0- I've not been able to
read or write files using the latest WinCE VM on Yoshiki's site
(http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/).  This includes the
.sources and .changes files.

I'm running Squeak off of a CF card, with the VM in \Storage Card\My
Documents\ and the images, changes, and sources files in \Storage Card\My
Documents\Squeak\.  The funny thing is that, say when a FileList is open,
Squeak knows what files are in the folder, and can even change folders and
get a listing in there (for example, I've a Goodies folder in my Squeak
folder).

When I start an image of these version, I'm told it can't find the changes
file- even though it's in the same folder.  When I hit 'cancel' in the
popup menu, I get a debugger ("Halt"), which is invoked in
StandardFileStream>>#oldFileNamed:.  The "self halt" is at the end of this
method, hinting that it's what happens when the primitives fail.

This is using the newest WinCE VM on PocketPC 2002 on an iPAQ 3150.

I've not run into this problem with Yoshiki's Morphic.zip 2.6 image. In
fact, that's the only image I've used without this problem. Luckily,
regardless of the image version, I can save my image after changes.  Which
is a function of the VM, and not Squeak I suppose.

Anyone else run into this, or have any bright ideas?

Aaron

P.S.: In better news, look forward to a new Dynapad release as soon as I
can get some sort of OS re-installed on my iBook- I've had to use my NeXT
cube in the meantime, for which there's not a current VM.  Not that'd I'd
want to run newer Morphic images on a 25 MHz 68040. ;)

What to look forward to? Better notes application, built in ScriptManager
(handy for taking notes!), a function plotter, much nicer looking thanks
to HG's bluelook, overall faster thanks to switching to a 2.8 based image.
Newer screenshots in a next day or two as well.