[Q] Socket - what is the "backlog" setting for?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jun 5 05:45:52 UTC 2002

>Obviously, I hate to have to put arbitrary delays in my client code.  Is there
>a better alternative?
>
>Thanks!

Which operating system and VM version are you using as a server? If
it's a mac I'll fix it, shouldn't happen. If it's a unix machine
we've done quite a few changes about 3 weeks ago to fix issues like
this and you should look for a new VM on Ian's site.

"backlog" setting see

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?listen+2

For non-BSD machines it might get ignored, see your OS details for
implications, but the issue of missing the data is an issue of how
socket state is transmitted upwards to the Smalltalk code.