Whole other debate on keyboard mappings

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Jun 5 20:56:14 UTC 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, John Hinsley wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jun 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
> > Mac        PC
> > ----------------
> > Cmd      Ctrl
> > Option   Alt
>
> I'd be inclined to agree: I'm used to it now, but this could be (and I
> remember it as) a minir stumbling block for newbies.

RTFM ?  ;)

I'm not convinced that it's a good idea to hard-wire this into the VM.
(Squeak would work differently on Unix compared to the other platforms
[unless Win32 Squeak has changed the mapping too?].)  Also, Don't forget
that with the Cmd-[xcv] -> Ctrl-[xvc] change you would also get everything
that's explained in the "command key help" window permuted around.

On the other hand flexibility is always a good idea.

If you want to know what swapping ctrl/command would feel like in practice
then grab this quick hack:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/3.1current/bld/squeak-m

(it's a 3.1 VM for 386) and start it up with:

  squeak-m -modifiers 0213 [whatever.image]

and let us all know if you *really* like it (including the all the
programming keyword shortcuts, indentation, delimiter insertion/removal,
word/line cursor movement, etc...).

Ian

PS: FWIW: `-modifiers ABCD' where A corresponds to pressing shift, B to
    control, C to alt and D to meta.  The digits are 0 = report shift to
    Squeak, 1 = report ctrl, 2 = command, 3 = option.  (The deault is
    `-modifiers 0122', which maps alt and meta to command leaving shift
    and control alone.)

PP: I'm not suggesting that this is a good solution.  The above is
    purely for entertainment purposes.